Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Mrs. B's Blog #1

1. During the summer and in my spare time, I really enjoy reading novels by Sarah Dessen. I have a collection of her writing in my closet which includes That Summer, Someone Like You, This Lullaby, Dreamland, and a few more. For me, every sentence in her novels make it worth the read. Her writing style is casual, funny, and reflective. I used to really like books like Gossip Girl and the A-List, but I've recently drifted away from them. I think this is because I just got sick of the whole "rich kid can buy everything she wants and is really unhappy" thing. A couple years ago, I tried writing my own short story, but I found that it was too similar to The A-List and so I decided to stop. I would love to someday write my own novel, but I'll need to take more writing courses before I am able to accomplish that successfully. I usually don't write anything unless it's a school assignment, even though I would like to. Since enrolling in this course, I have rediscovered my love for creative writing. When Mr. Miles asked us to write a page of dialogue involving two people on a blind date, I found a lot of inspiration in the characters I created. When I got home that night, I continued the assignment, this time just for fun, and molded the page of dialogue into a "mini" short story. I really enjoyed doing so and would like to continue to write creatively for fun.

3. Audrey felt a finger softly tap her shoulder. It was George. Again. Could he not see that she was trying to meditate? She was beginning to wonder why she had invited him along with her in the first place; she definitely didn't need anymore stress. Sure, he had been her best friend since preschool but sometimes he could just be so.. George.
Suddenly she felt another tap on her shoulder. This time, she removed her sleeping mask and earphones and glared at George. "What?" she asked coldly.
"Do the flight attendants still hand out pretzels? I'm getting hungry."
"Are you serious? They just finished serving lunch!"
"Audrey. We've been over this. You know I need my snacks, otherwise I get really cranky."
"This is so typical of you, George. Couldn't you just have packed some from home like I told you? And I'm sorry but I guess you're going to have to wait."
"Fine."
"Now, I'm going to put my headphones and my sleeping mask back on, and I would really appreciate it if you could just entertain yourself for a while. I mean, I haven't seen my mom in 8 years. I need to relax."
"Explain to me why your mom moved to Australia again?"
"It's a long story. After the divorce, she wanted to be as far away from my dad as possible. And that meant she couldn't see me either."
"Huh."
Audrey put her sleeping mask back on and imagined seeing her mom at the airport: what she would look like, what she would say, if she still smelled like Chanel No. 5. After about fifteen minutes, Audrey fell asleep to the sounds of Coldplay.

No comments: