Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Stories

Part 1:
During childhood, stories are meant to expand the imagination and teach the important morals of our society. Many children's stories include wildly creative characters, plots, and settings. This defintely helps the children learn to use their imagination. While the plots in these stories are all different, most of them are written to convey a meaningful message to help the children learn valuable lessons about life, friends, how to behave, etc.

Part 2:
I think many people read later in life to enrich their knowledge of literature, at least those who are interested in doing so. Also, they may also read simply because they enjoy a particular author or subject matter. While I personally do not necessarily enjoy reading the texts that are given to me in an english class, I love reading books by Sarah Dessen. I have found that the matters she discusses in her novels are things that I can relate to and that is why I enjoy reading them so much. I'm sure this is true to many others as well, although the preferences among each person may vary.

Part 3:
Storied are important to our nation because they convey the morals and messages that our people care about. While some people write about the great things that our nation and its people have accomplished, others choose to write about the latest celebrity gossip or fashion trends. Depending on one's opinions, they might find one subject matter more important than the next. Still, when all of these stories and subjects blend together, it conveys the things that the people in our country care about.

Part 4:
One story I remember is Where The Wild Things Are. Though I do not remember exactly what the story was about, I do remember my stepdad reading it to me often as a child. One year for my birthday, he even bought me a poster of all the main characters in the story. Another book that my mom read to me was Goodnight Moon. While we enjoyed reading stories together, a hallmark of my childhood years were Disney movies. Those movies also helped me understand and form solid morals, the way childrens books do as well.

Part 5:
The exposition of a story should be clear about the setting, the characters, and the relationships. This does not have to be evident immediately, but it should be clear by the time the rising action begins to develop. Also, the climax in the story should happen towards the end. I cannot think of anything I dislike more in a novel than when the climax happens right away at the beginning of the story. The story should also have a clear ending. While specific details may be left for the reader's imagination, the author should at least convey an understandable and satisfying conclusion. The author should make sure that the plot and characters are relatable to the audience. The story should include some humor and the reader should not be distracted with gramatical errors that were purposely written by the author. I really don't like it when authors don't use proper punctuation or spelling, simply because it's their writing style.

3 comments:

olivia said...

I agree!!! kids learn a lot of morals through stories when they are little. They learn what is wrong and what is right in some stories!

Sylvie said...

Where the wild things are!!!! Oh my goodness, I completely forgot about that book, I really like it!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree that it is important for the exposition to clearly state what is going on in the story, it makes it easier to follow a story like that.